I am currently based in Northern California, having opened the first public school program for autism in 1973 and designing, developing, implementing and expanding my first private school in 1980 in the Sacramento area.
Since 2011, I have supported the development and expansion of two private schools in the San Francisco Bay area of which I am currently the Executive Director of one and have spent the past 6 summers consulting on the island of Bali and Java, educating and mentoring in non-governmental centers and schools for special needs. I have helped to design and implement the Autism Specialist Credential for two California Universities as well.
I enjoy consulting with families, helping them work with schools in obtaining the supports and services their child requires and needs.
I customize workshops for schools and centers and evaluate organizations' current needs in program development and expansion.
I consult with schools and centers, helping them evaluate their faculty and staff needs and training, environmental challenges, parent support needs, funding needs, educational and therapeutic models, and building a positive educational and working environment.
Sample of Consulting Topics
- Understanding ASD
- Addressing communication, social, sensory, or executive functioning challenges
- Addressing behavior challenges
- Developing pre-vocational and life skill curriculums
- Understanding sensory integration
- Parent training (building independence)
- Wellness (parents and staff)
- Understanding your co-worker with ASD
- Developing your fundraising strategies
- Developing a school for the student with ASD
- Everything a student with ASD wishes you to know
- Creating an effective learning and working environment for faculty, staff, and students
- Developing your child's educational team and advocating for his or her needs.